Tuesday, January 3, 2012

12-30 Charlotte Leah - birth story

   Our C-Section was scheduled for December 30, 2011 at 8:15am and we were told to arrive at Winter Park Hospital at 6:15am. No food or drinks for me after midnight. The night before, we had dinner with Jacob and Sean's mom at a pizza place, and then she took Jacob to spend the night at her house. It was so  hard to believe that in just a few short hours, he would no longer be an only child. My parents arrived at our house around 8, and we finished packing our bags and getting the house ready and went to bed early.

 At the hospital
  
 Last morning of being pregnant! 39 weeks exactly
 
Checking in


The next morning we got up EARLY. I took a shower since I knew I wouldn't get to until the next day, and then we all headed to the hospital. We arrived at 6:15 (eh ok, 6:30), went to labor and delivery and checked in. They would only allow Sean back in the room, so my parents had to wait in the waiting room. In our room I changed into my gown and filled out about a million papers. They hooked me up to a fetal heartrate monitor and contraction monitor. Then a funny thing happened - after 39 weeks of not having a SINGLE contraction or even Braxton  Hicks - I started having contractions! After I felt the first one I looked over at the monitor and sure enough, it was a contraction! The nurse confirmed this. I continued to have contractions the whole time I was there - they weren't painful yet, just uncomfortable. Then came what was probably the most painful part of the whole day - the nurse (who was an intern) tried, unsuccessfully, to put an IV in both hands. I had a bruise on my left hand from it for about a week. After that the other nurse put one in my arm with no trouble. I was given fluids for about half an hour or so. Dr. Lincourt came in to say hi and to get some of the paperwork. Then the nurse anesthetist ("No pain Wayne") came in to get his paperwork and to answer my questions. He told me that the spinal (last time I had an epidural) was going to work almost instantly. Pretty soon it was time to go and they were wheeling me down to hall to the OR! Sean had to stay behind and put on his scrubs. He was told they'd get him when they were just about ready to pull the baby out, just like with Jacob. This time they told me the reason they do it that way - if for some reason the spinal doesn't work, they would have to put me under general anesthesia and in that situation, Sean wouldn't be allowed back at all.

Me with my mountain of paperwork!
 

Sean in his scrubs waiting for them to come get him
 
   Once I was in the OR, Dr. Moore, the other doctor doing the surgery, came and said hi. Dr. Moore and Dr. Lincourt are 2 of my favorite doctors, so I was very happy when I was told they'd be the ones doing the c-section. Then No Pain Wayne did my spinal. I had to sit up on the edge of the bed, just like for the epidural and curve my back. It was much easier to sit still this time since I wasn't having contractions! (well, not painful ones anyways). I felt the shot which was the worst part- it felt like a bee sting. I didn't feel anything else, but it was done after about 2 minutes! I couldn't believe how fast it was - the epidural probably took at least 20 minutes. As soon as he was done, Wayne said - lie down lie down! I did and almost instantly felt my legs going numb. Within a few minutes I was completely numb, and the doctors got started. I felt a lot of pushing and tugging. Soon I heard them say "get the husband" and Sean was by my side. I was FREEZING so they kept covering me with blankets. Shortly after Sean arrived, they told him to look over the sheet (last time they asked if he wanted to and he said no thanks! haha). This time he was TOLD so he did it and he got to see her being born! My beautiful Charlotte Leah was born at 8:36am, weighing 6lbs 12 and 1/2 oz and 19 inches long. At my last doctor's appointment, I had asked Dr. Lincourt if she could hold the baby over the sheet for me to see after she came out. She said as long as the baby was ok she would, and so I got to see her right away! She also cried right away - a really loud cry! I cried with her.

   Charlotte brand new!
 
6lbs 12.5oz- little peanut!
 
19 inches
 
  

As the doctors worked on me, Sean and and Wayne kept me posted on Charlotte and told me she was doing perfect. Her apgars were 9 and 9. Sean got to cut the cord this time! After a few minutes, Sean was able to bring her over to me and I got to hold her. They actually never tied my arms down...I think they might have forgotten but I wasn't going to remind them! Holding her was great and I was sad when I had to give her up. Sean went with her back to the original room we were in (which would be my recovery room), so they were both waiting there when I got there. Last time Jacob was taken to the nursery and I wasn't allowed to have him in recovery, so it was a few hours before I got to see him again and nurse him. As soon as I got there, Sean brought Charlotte to me and the nurse helped place her on my chest so she could nurse. I love that I got to nurse her within the first hour of her life. She was a champ and latched right on and ate! I was still very numb. We stayed in that room for about an hour, until I could wiggle a toe and then they were able to send us to our post-partum room. Oh, at one point they let Sean go to the waiting room and let my Mom came in to see her. At this point we still hadn't told anyone the name.


Meeting her for the first time!
   

   I was covered in blankets because I was so cold!
 



Her first time nursing
 
   Up in our post-partum room, it was finally time to reveal the name! My parents and my sister were in there with us, so we wrapped Charlotte in the special receiving blanket that we had had monogrammed with "Charlotte Leah" and handed her to my mom. They all said they loved the name, and it was a complete surprise since it was not a name we had ever mentioned! Sean took a picture with his phone and sent it to his parents. They loved that the middle name is after Sean's grandmother.



  

 

 
   We spent the next 2 days and nights in the hospital, and our stay was pretty uneventful. The first afternoon, Sean's parents and brother came and they brought Jacob to visit. I was so  happy to see him! He got to meet his sister but I'm not sure he really understood what was happening! He had fun playing with everything in the room though! Then my parents took him home to our house and Sean's family stayed a little longer to visit with us. For lunch they had me on a liquid diet (I chose chicken broth from the very exciting liquid diet menu!) and for dinner, a soft diet (macaroni and mashed potatoes).
 
Uncle Conor
 

  Bubbe
 
Jacob meets baby sister
 
"Baby!"
 


Emmy
 


Grandpa
 
Daddy and Charlotte
 
Tired  but happy
 
Tanta Sarah
 

  Zayde
 
 
 




 Charlotte was an absolute champion eater in the hospital! Our nurse said she was an A+ eater and the best on our floor! She has NO TONGUE TIE!!!!! and only takes 10-15 minutes for a full feeding! She only lost 7% of her birthweight at the hospital, which the hospital pediatrician said was great. She was a little jaundice, but the doctor was concerned at all. She said it was borderline (I think the level was 7?). She said the way Charlotte was eating it would be gone in no time! When Jacob was this age he was taking 30-45 minutes for a feeding, so I just couldn't believe a newborn could be so efficient already! I even emailed the lactation consultant I had used with Jacob to make sure she was getting enough, and she assured me that she is. She said I deserve for nursing to be easy this time, and I'd have to agree with her!

   On our second day in the hospital, December 31st, both of our families and Jacob came over around 4 in the afternoon for an early New Year celebration! My mom brought crackers and cheese and little petit fours that said 2012, and champagne! It was so special to be able to celebrate with our families and our new daughter. They let me get out of bed that morning (I BEGGED to get up the night before, but my blood pressure was a little low and they were afraid I would faint so they let me stand but not walk around) and I got a shower which was the best shower ever! I felt like myself again when I could walk around, even though it was a little difficult. That night, I set the tv to the channel that the ball drop is shown on in case we should be awake for a feeding at that time. But we weren't and we slept right through it! Oh well. Sean was such a great Daddy in the hospital- every time Charlotte woke up, he got up and changed her, brought her to me and when she was done eating, took her back and got her to go to sleep.


 

 
Our family of 4
 


Zayde makes a toast
 


  

 The next morning, Dr. Lincourt came by around 8:30 and said "Happy New Year!" and I responded with "Can I go home? Oh happy new year!" haha. She said she could either discharge me right then but she couldn't take my staples out yet so I'd have to come into the office, or I could wait until 4 and get them out and then go. I said I'll go now! So she discharged me and we just had to wait on the pediatrician to come and discharge Charlotte. Little did we know, she wouldn't get to us until 3:30!! She finally came and said Charlotte looks great and discharged her. Then we still needed a few things - a prescription for me, tdap shot for me, Charlotte needed her bellybutton clamp thing taken off, etc. It seemed like each little thing took FOREVER! We didn't get home until about 5pm that night! But the silver lining was that I got to get my staples out since we were STILL THERE at 4! We did finally make it home, and now we are adjusting to our new family of 4!
 

  Bubbe and Zayde came by to say goodbye and brought Jacob (then they took him to our house and Sean's parents came over to watch him until we got home)
 

  Hugging his baby sister
 
 
 
 
  She looks so little in Sean's arms!
 
  When Joanne and Javier told me they wanted to visit that afternoon, I thought for sure they'd be visiting us at home!
 
 

FINALLY we are leaving! Getting my security band cut off
 
Charlotte getting her band cut off
 
 
First car ride!
 
Dr. Lincourt and Charlotte at my 2 week check

1 comment:

  1. "Can I go home? Oh happy new year!"

    LMAO! I can totally see you saying that :-) Great birth story! I love that you have so many photos, especially going into the hospital and getting released. I'm jealous - why didn't I think to do that? Great job!

    ReplyDelete