Tuesday, February 8, 2011

My favorite (mommy) things!

I have been meaning to do this post for a while. To all the new and soon-to-be mommies, here is a list of my favorite things! I will probably update this as I think of more.

Newborn/Infant

1. Good strollers: Uppa Baby Vista and Maclaren
Good strollage is so important! I LOVE my uppa baby. It is so smooth, and has big wheels that ride well on any surface. The wheels are made of foam so they never go flat. There is no bar at the bottom to kick, so you can lock the front wheels and jog with it. It comes with a sunshade, bug screen, and bassinet. The bassinet is wonderful for the first few months, since you really aren't supposed to keep a baby in their car seat when they are not in the car. It does have a car seat adapter, which we bought, but we never used it. Huge storage basket underneath. Easy to fold. You can add a toddler seat when you have another baby. I really love this stroller.


For our umbrella stroller we have the Maclaren Quest, which has been wonderful. It folds small and easy, reclines, and has a lot of storage underneath.


2. Lap Pads and gerber burp cloths
You can't have too many!

3. Burts Bees Baby Bee shampoo and wash
I have tried many different kinds, and this is by far my favorite! It makes his hair so soft, and smells like honey


4. Good swaddle blankets- I like Carters. Beware of the cheapie ones- they are too small.

5. Sleep sacks
We still use these today. I like Aden and Anais for light weight, and Halo fleece for something a little heavier.


6. Born free glass bottles
I won't get into why you should use glass over plastic ;) But the born free bottles are easy to clean, and the only kind Jacob would ever take


7. Grobag egg thermometer
LOVE this thing. We still use it today in his room. I can see what color it is on the baby monitor so I can make sure his room stays the right temperature.

8. Socks from Old Navy
These are the only kind that would stay on his skinny feet when he was tiny!

9. Video Monitor
This is a must. We have the summer infant handheld color video monitor and it is great. I also suggest getting an audio monitor that you can travel with (our video monitor is mounted on the wall). We have the sony babycall for that purpose and it works great.

10. Organic crib sheets from the Gap
I wish they made adult sheets because these are the softest I have ever seen! They get softer with each wash.

11. Sleepers that zip and have feet
It took us a while to figure out that this is the perfect combination for a wiggly baby! We like the Carters brand

12. Sophie
She rocks. Babies love her. I wrote a whole blog post about her.

13. Best Glider
Super comfy. I spend a lot of time here!

Older infant/Toddler
14. Ergo
LOVE this thing. It has somewhat replaced the Maclaren, since it is usually what I use for short trips. Jacob prefers it to the stroller. I wear him in front when we are out, and on my back at home doing chores. I have hiked with him in it for hours, and worn him in it all over the airport. I have never gotten a sore back or shoulders from it and I feel like I could wear him in it all day. It distributes the weight between your hips and shoulders, making a 20lb baby feel like nothing. It is one of the best baby things we have ever bought. I really enjoy the closeness I feel when I wear him.

15. Nuby Straw sippy
Jacob loves these and prefers them to a regular sippy (and supposedly the straw kind are better for them). And they don't spill!

16. Disposable placemats
I bring these everywhere so I don't have to put his food down on nasty tables. And when he is done I just throw them away!

Breastfeeding
I thought this deserved a category of its own.

17. Nursing tanks from target
I lived in these. Still do. I have one in every color. And two in black.

18. Bravado body silk nursing bra
Once I accepted that nursing bra = no support (unless it is super tight and gives you plugged ducts - Medela!), I really started to like these bras. Super comfy and hold up really well.

19. Medela Freestyle Pump
I am fortunate in that I didn't have to pump a whole lot, being home with Jacob and everything. But when I did, the freestyle was great. The best part about it is how small it is, which was great for when I had to travel with it on a plane. I also like that it runs on batteries; I have pumped in the car a few times!

20. My Brest Friend
Far superior to the boppy when it comes to breastfeeding. I have yet to talk to someone who has tried both and preferred the boppy. However, the boppy is great for other things, such as tummy time. So get both! 

21. A good lactation consultant
Have their phone number on speed dial.

22. Johnson and Johnson nursing pads
I have tried a few different kinds and these are my favorite. They are contoured and very discreet.

23. Covered ice cube trays for breastmilk storage
This is the best way to store frozen breastmilk, in my opinion. Babies are constantly changing how much they eat, and this way you can defrost it in increments of an ounce and much less is wasted. Trust me, you don't want to waste your pumped breast milk! It is like liquid gold. 

24. Nursing cover with boning and a neck strap
Mine is an udder cover. Love it. Enjoy using it, because it won't be long before your baby won't let you!

25. Soothie gel pads
Hopefully you won't need these for long!

And finally....

Things I would not bother with
-bottle warmer
-wipes warmer
-itzbeen baby timer (used mine for like a day)
-crib bumper (dangerous)
-lanolin (expressed breastmilk is best)

2 comments:

  1. Good post. =) Though, I couldn't have lived without my Itzbeen timer!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! I am still considering getting that egg therm for her room. I NEVER can seem to figure out if she's too hot or too cold.

    ReplyDelete