Tuesday, October 12, 2010

First ISR lesson

Well, today (ok, technically yesterday but I forgot my camera) was our first day of ISR, which stands for Infant Swimming Resource. This class takes place 5 days a week, 10 minutes a day, for about 6 weeks. It is not so much a "swimming lesson", as drowning prevention/survival skills. The mission of this program is "Not One More Child Drowns". For a baby that can't walk yet, like Jacob, this is what they will learn:

Think of how your child learned to roll from stomach to back as a young baby. A child 6-12 months will learn:
  • To hold their breath underwater
  • To roll onto their back
  • To float unassisted, rest and breathe until help arrives
  • To perform these Self-Rescue skills first in a swim diaper, then while fully clothed
    Go here to learn more about the program: http://www.infantswim.com/company/index.html
    and here: http://www.safestartusa.org/

    I will admit, these first 2 lessons have been hard to watch. Parents are not allowed in the water with the baby and instructor. Our instructor is Michelle and she is fabulous. But Jacob cries the whole time. And today, when he tried to roll over, she let him so he would realize the consequences and want to stay on his back. My baby rolled under the water. Of course it was only for a second, but still, hard to watch. Michelle had to assure Jacob that I would be alright! But I know that this is a good thing we are doing for him. We live in Florida. I don't even look at it as being optional for us. Every Friday we are allowed to take pictures and videos, so I will update his progress each week.



1 comment:

  1. I can imagine that it is hard to watch, but it is such an amazing thing. I took a class called "learning methods" or something like that and the teacher was the one who started that program here in FL. It really is amazing to watch the babies learn the survival skills.

    ReplyDelete